Ed Keith  Hotrod@ kiva.net said:

> I get to the place when I stand up to walk I cannot pick up my feet. I >do not  feel stiff I  just can not lift my feet.
>When I do I seem to go to fast and I must watch to keep from falling.
>When I get going, I do alright untill I stop again. This does not >happen all the time.
>I would appreciate any suggestion.

Quite some time ago the folks on this list made the
discovery that blue sunglasses are a great aid with
this problem, Ed. Something about the filtered color
enabled better walking for PWPs.

Here's my trick, something I learned in the service and
which takes a lot of practice - utilizing peripherial
vision - which simply means seeing something without
looking at it. In the dark, with very low light levels,
there is something about the makeup of the eye, which I
won't try to explain, that makes it easier to "see" if
you look to one side of an object and not straight at
it.

Practice that during the day. Don't "look" at doorways,
cracks in the sidewalk, clumps of grass. Let your
peripherial vision "see" while you focus somewhere
slightly above the horizon.

As we PWPs get further into this thing we have, we tend
to develop a head down walk, looking at a spot about
two feet in front of us, trying to control our
mental/physical footsteps because we have become use to
having our feet stop while mentally we are still
walking, thus falling on our head, making us dingier
than we already are.

This might not work for you. All of us have a different
program we follow to make things easier, some are more
successful than others at playing the mind tricks that
PD pushes at us. "Thinking" about doing something that
we have spent our whole lives doing without thinking is
a difficult task. Trying to get a cup to your mouth,
walking to the bathroom, getting out of bed, these
things are not what "normal" folks spend time on and
few of them really understand what mental process we
must go through to do the same things.

Bypassing the PD signals is still a possibility. Tai
Chi, meditation, whatever it takes, is a road to a
slower degeneration of physical ability. It works for
me, and I highly suggest that you look into taking
classes, buying tapes, whatever you feel most
comfortable doing. It isn't for everyone - some folks
feel silly doing the exercises, others think the whole
thing is stupid, so I offer it without philosophical
theory backing it up.

Hang tough, Ed. We have a long road ahead of us.

Jerry

(This space for rent)