I cannot wear sneakers, because I do not pick my feet up high enough when I
walk.  I need to wear shoes with a leather sole when I am not wearing my
brace, so that I will not trip or stumble on pieces of lint on the floor!

However, I have knee damage caused by inappropriate stress caused by the
muscles in my legs.......the muscles on the outer side of the leg being much
stronger than the inside (I walk with my upper legs/hips because of
rigidity/poor response from my ankles/feet)......hence......the knee caps are
pulled toward the outside (the top of the knee cap is at 9 or 3 oclock
position on the clock instead of at 12 oclock where it should be).  This
creates a lot of pain when lifting, climbing stairs, rising from the floor, as
well as problems when standing for prolonged periods.

I wear a brace when I walk long distances (airport/travel) and may not have
ready access to a wheelchair.......should wear the brace all of the time, but
it is frankly too hot and too uncomfortable in the summer unless I am
desparate (or in too much pain).   The brace does force my heel down first, my
stride is more normal when I am on.......but I do a fair bit of stumbling with
it when I am off.

Also have exercises for stretching the leg muscles from the physical therapist
which I must do every day or I reallly have much more pain.

Rita Weeks 54/9