Marjorie wrote:               my office mate of 2.5 years murdered his
girlfriend last year.  I received a subpoena about a month ago to go to
court for the defense on Sept. 9th.  So far I haven't felt
any increase of stress symptoms, but after Wed. and the
court date, I'm certain I'll fall apart"

One of the faculty members I worked for, Janet, was murdered by her
husband in January, 1994.  Janet & I were friends and her death was a
great loss.  Added to the loss was the horror of the way she died .. a
very gruesome death.  After the first few days which included an
interview with the police and the fact that I had to give them all the
email message between us, my symptoms got much worse.

Within two or three weeks of Janet's death, I had to start taking Sinnemet
for the first time.  I was told by the police the day following the murder
that I would receive a subpoena so, once the trial started, my family doc
suggested I take time off work until after I had testified, or the trial
was over, or I felt like going back to work.  I followed her advice and it
was very helpful to me.

I also explained about Parkinson's to the Crown Attorney (the prosecution)
and, when I asked, he showed me the courtroom and explained where and who
everyone involved would be. We talked about any problems Parkinson's
might cause and I felt very prepared.  On the day I had to testify, one
friend accompanied me until I had to go into the courtroom and there were
several other friends waiting in the courtroom.  All of which, made it
much easier.

So, Marjorie, please let others know that you have Parkinson's and don't
hesitate to ask for anything that might make testifying less stressful
and find out ahead of time what you may expect in the courtroom.  Be very
kind to yourself and schedule some time off for yourself.  I hope this
helps.  Please let us know how you are.  We'll be thinking of you.

Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing