Dear List-family....

This past weekend, I went to a movie with a fellow Parkie.  While watching the
picture (which was SO bad, watching reruns on TV woulda been more
entertaining!) <grin> suddenly the screen went dark, the lights came up,
flashing lights went on over both exits, and a message to evacuate the theater
was repeated over the PA system!

THAT was bad enough, but as it happened, my friend was TOTALLY "off" and I was
somewhere between "off" and "on."  This had been a PLANNED state for both of
us, since we figured we'd each take our respective PD-meds right after the
movie, and then would be "on" while enjoying dinner and the balance of the
evening.  It DID make sense at the time... <rueful shrug of shoulders>

As we joined all the other people exiting the 16-theater movie house, for US
it was like the "halt leading the lame."  As we entered the lobby area, with
crowds of people funneling into it from all 16 theaters. my friend headed
right for a water fountain in order to take his meds.

If the building had been on fire or an explosive had been found (heaven
forbid!), my friend declared he wasn't going to be caught in an "off" state in
a potentially life threatening emergency.  I felt pretty much the same, but
would've waited to get OUT of the theater complex and outside the mall the
theaters they were in BEFORE taking my meds (but my "offs" aren't as disabling
as his, so I'm aware why we each felt slightly different immediate needs).

At that point the alarm was delared a "false alarm," and everyone was told we
could return to our various movies.

After the movie (which, since it was THAT bad, we shoulda just continued
walking out the door and gone to dinner!), while eating dinner, my friend and
discussed our respective thoughts and emotions as we were making our emergency
evacuation of the theater...

I've gotta tell ya, being "off" was VERY scary!  In fact, being "off" at that
time was more scary then the actual emergency situation itself!   We both felt
an immediate and almost overwhelming need to get our PD drugs into our
systems!  That need manifested itself SO strongly that my friend was literally
compelled to stop at that water fountain to take his meds NO MATTER *WHAT* WAS
HAPPENING.  While I'm not sure if he would have stopped to take his meds had
there been actual smoke or blood, he DID stop while an emergency evacuation
was taking place.

The thing that really gets me, is that IF there was a stable PD drug that
could be counted to permit the user to smoothly, seamlessly progress from one
dose to the next, without a PWP's HAVING to balance and weigh virtually every
dose we take, while simultaneously considering the entire life-span of our
respective individual drugs, neither of us would've felt panic about being
"off," and would've have been able to devote ALL our thoughts and energies
into how best exit the theater and protect our lives.

That said.... WHERE'S that Sinemet patch?  Where are a variety of treatments
for the variety of Parkinson's symptoms suffered by so many individuals?
WHERE IS THE PARKINSON'S CURE?!?

GAWD!  I hate this steeeenkin' disease!

Barb Mallut