Hi folks,

  I am writing for two important reasons.

  Frist of all, there is absolutely NO guarantee that, even if I am
filmed( postponed by bad weather to Friday morning September 11th), that
the story will be broadcast. Channel 13 is up against the McGwire home
run story, the Sosa home run story, the New England Patriots football
fans, and all kinds of other pressures.  It will be a total MIRACLE if my
tiny Parkinson's community and the handful of List members have enough
power to convince Channel 13 (tel. 297 797-9099) that the Iv for Pan golf
story deserves air play , in preference to the GIGANTIC football and
baseball lobbies.

Understandably, when Sports News Director David Eid called me this
morning, which in itself required  two earlier calls from me, and one
from my morning PCA, Keith, he voice sounded very "iffy."  It is not at
all certain that the PD Udall Act and all the related issues will get air
play either.  Who knows how David Eid will edit and write his story about
me? After all, is Channel 13 being overwhelmed with PD-related calls?  I
rather doubt if its health reporter, Kim Block, has even heard at all
about the Ivan golf story.

 The TV filming is TENTATIVELY rescheduled for Friday, September 11, in
the late morning, Eastern Daylight TIme.  Mr. Eid, whose father has PD in
Worcester, Mass, did NOT know of ANYONE from the LIst having actually
called either their local stations, or his office.  Hopefully, your calls
will be known to him by Friday morning.

The second reason I am writing is to respond to Craig Mellinger's
concern, that perhaps I am too young and too physically well to be
representative.  I fully share his concerns.  In a nutshell, I figure,
ANYONE with PD who is not hiding it, who goes on TV,  gives us another
small victory.  We MUST learn the art of media coverage if we are ever to
be heard, however our community gains entry to the arena of TV, radio,
movies, magazines and newspapers.

Craig raises a point I always keep in mind--Craig, the community of
Portland, Maine is small enough (60,000) so that my name is known, and
the fact that I am homebound without personal care attendant assistance
up to 13 hours/day is also a well-known fact.  I am VISIBLY affected by
Young-Onset Parkinson's.

   I struggled terribly to play the two 9-hole rounds of golf that were
required.  Noone else from Maine was able to participate in the
Parkinson's  tournament.

   I needed a nurse-practitioner with me for the first 9 holes.  It took
me 4 1/2 hours to complete.  He drove an electric golf cart to get me
around.  My meds wore off in the blistering, steamy heat, on the 3rd
hole, by the humid banks of the Presumpscot river.  The mosquitoes buzzed
me constantly while I waited 40 nerve-wracking minutes, waiting to hit my
second shot from the right side of the fairway.

We waived two groups through.  I had to avoid eating, despite the need
for energy, because of the possibility of protein blockage of my
medicines.  OR just plain food blockage.

He backed my car into another in the parking lot, while I slumped
motionless in the passenger seat.
I got home so messed up that it took me all night and the next day just
to recover.

The second 9-hole round, played the following week, had me accompanied by
a nervous personal care attendant.  It was an equally brutal, late June
ordeal, in humidity and sweltering heat.

.I had to drive myself, just to us get there and back, because that
attendant has an OUI (alcohol) problem, and no driver's license.

 I had wearing-off problems and tremors on the 2nd, the 7th and the  8th
holes, and was sweating continuously for the last hour.  It took almost 4
hours to complete 9 holes.  I was so exhausted that I had to be helped to
bed an hour after the round ended--at 1 in the afternoon.  I was a basket
case until late into the night.

  Given these details, I think that Dave Eid will show me as a battler
against inevitably increasing odds. I am certainly aware of your
concerns-in fact, I share them, and I understand them.

  My philosophy is to keep doing as much as I possibly can, and
meanwhile, be open about having Parkinson's DIsease.  This educates the
public.

  Why hide?  And meanwhile, why not have a little fun if you can, while
promoting the cause-finding a cure for Parkinson's Disease, and making
our lives a little less miserable along the way.

Ivan :-)  48/12

^^^^^^WARM GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman         48/12         [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine    Land of lighthouses       deg. F