Dear Listserv Members:

While so much of the information on this listserv is excellent (I do think
that PWP are amongst the most educated about their illness), it sends
shivers up my spine reading of some people breaking caplets and "snorting"
it's contents!

I do understand that it is most frustrating to "sit and wait" while
research seems to take forever in finding a releief and a cure for
Parkinson's. I speak not only as a nurse working for the National Parkinson
Foundation, but as the daughter of a PWP. I too, pray that a cure is found
so my mother and all those suffering the way she is will be relieved of
this awful disease. However, the "nurse" part of me realizes that there can
be dire consequences of home basement research.

The medications deveolped to be administered nasally are done so in a
specific way. Considerations to molecule size, correct PH for certain
mucous linings (such as found in the nasal passages or those in the
digestive tract), calculating correct dosage for a certain route of
administration, etc., etc., are all factors. While some medications are
delivered via inhalation or nasal sprays, others are not meant to be.

By taking a medication nasally, you are NOT avoiding or bypassing the blood
brain barrier. The medication still must enter the bloodstream then try to
get to the brain. The barrier is there as a safeguard to keep certain
chemicals out. Additionally, once a chemical or drug gets into our
bloodstream, via ANY route, it's not as if it bypasses our other vital
organs to get only to the brain. Most substances still are filtered by the
liver.

Snorting contents of a capsule not intended for nasal delivery or  diluting
a tablet in liquid for purposes of "snorting" it, can be dangerous. There
is potential of incorrect dosage, damaging the nasal mucosa, irritaing the
nasal passages and sinus tracts, potential for sinus infections, aspiration
(getting it into the lungs), etc., etc., etc.

As I said in my opening statement I do believe a lot of information on this
listserv is excellent, however, I think care must be taken for all of us
not to practice medicine.  Luckily, no serious consequences occurred in
this "experiment", but I would hate to think that someone desperate for
relief may try something similar and not be so fortunate.

For the safety of all, please refrain from conducting such experiments on
your own.

Bonnie Cunningham, R.N.
Patient Services Director
National Parkinson Foundation