Deear Ruth

Don't be discouraged, ther is light at the end of the tunnel.

.Joan Waterman wrote:

> I am discouraged, I had pinned my hopes of being able to get the Deep Brain
> Stimulation STN before I hit the wheel chair level,>
> Back to the DBS-- I think there is no use in hoping for FDA approval on this
> procedure as the HMOs ,the drug companies, and Medicare are surely fighting it
> because of the expense.

Why do we always have to prove again what some
> other country has already proved?

I was under the impression  that it was because  they were so extra
careful of the people's safety
in the U.S.

> I noticed my generic Sinemet was made in Jerusalem. What kind of approval did
> that have.  How do we know our generic drugs are not made by some terrorist
> country?  It sure would be an easy way to knock off a few people!

I would rather travel El Al that any other air line. It seems safer to
me (but  that's just a personal  opinion).  And if my memory serves me
correctly, the only country I've ever heard of where medications were
tampered with and people  died as a result  - was that tylenol poisoning
case some years ago.  Here, in the U.S. of A.  No imputation, and no
allegation, but I was quite glad to be liviing in Israel at the time.
And I felt quite safe that my medications were being manufactured in
Jerusalem.
But you're right: that  was then and this is now. And the point I am
trying to make is that bad things could  happen anywhere.  And the
reason that the FDA takes so long is to try and minimise the possibility
of that happenning here...
Incidentally, I'm hoping to  have DBS soon. Speak to your neurologist;
there are programs.

> I hope I'm wrong in my cynicsm and that I haven't ran on too long. Just give it
> it some thought, I value the input of this group.

I don't think its cynicism - I think it is another example of wanting
too be extra careful - and that is w hat  makes this country - still-
the safest place to live in.

And  that is just my opinion.

> Thanks----
> Ruth Clark 67/9