Dear Joan, I hate to have to admit this but I have been doing the wheel
chair thing
for over five years: it has been a funny (haha), a funny (strange)  & a
funny (choke back the tears) thing! When two of the guys from church
pushed me thru the St. Louis Zoo-it was a riot-Mutt & Jeff meet the
"woman in the iron chair!"
But when my husband pushes me, it's a different story. At first he is so
considerate & I feel so awkward that we kinda fall all ourselves being
polite; "no
dear I won't mind going to look at the stupid gun collection when
there's a perfectly lovely doll house over in that part of the museum!"
Soon after, we are no longer so polite & we find ourselves in this small
power struggle, with him whizzing by stuff that I ordinarily would read!
He's not unkind; he just can't be bothered but boy, can I be bothered.
It's like turning over that part of your life over & having someone else
run the whole show! But when I must use one of those motorized carts to
get around a huge warehouse store like Sam's or Super-
Walmart, I am brought nearly to the verge of tears by the looks that I
get (those are supposed to be for old fat people!) or the  grimaces as I
drive into yet another display nearly make hobbling around on those
concrete floors & spending the rest of the day on the couch seem like a
reasonable option!...but somebody has to make dinner & finish laundry &
help with homework so I figure that it's another one of those grin &
bear it situations! With all the stresses we face each day just getting
out of bed, getting going, getting something accomplished; I figure that
I must use every trick in the book to help me stay productive & out
there. I think that I'm so afraid that if I stop-I won't start again.
And that thought scares the hell out of me. So Joan (great name,BTW),
look at a wheelchair as a necessary annoyance if you can. I'm always
telling the kids that
this is an opportunity to tell God thank you for their strong little
legs!

--
---
Joan Snyder  (47/8) "Do or do not. There is no try."Yoda