I answered Hilary's letter off list, but after thinking about it I thought
maybe it should have been answered on list, instead.
So this was my message to her.

You too?? I spoke briefly with the folks at the Sunnyvale PD
Institute and was told that there was a study either being written or
just underway to check out hormones and dopamine levels. I will
continue to bug them because I think it is very important.

When Janet posted, about 4 or 5 months ago, a notice about
estrogen therapy use for Alzheimer's and possibly for PD, I talked
with my neuro and my gp (who is actually a pa and midwife and
has been taking courses on menopause) and I was started on mild
estrogen (mild birth control pills) to do 2 things. 1) to even out my
periods which of late have been out of control (yes I am trying to go
through menopause), and 2) to see if it made a difference in my
Sinemet use.

Where for 3 or 4 days before my periods I needed to take extra
Sinemet to just be able to move (sometimes in order to be able to
just get up out of bed), now I do not take any extra Sinemet. My
regular med schedule works fine all month long. I really feel that
getting rid of pms (yes I had that very bad before) has changed that
one week a month in which I could eat (seemingly) a month's worth
of Sinemet in just one week.

If you think you are pre-menopausal or such you should have your
hormone levels checked. And even if you are not, maybe you
should talk with your doctors about estrogen therapy (or just mild
birth control pills, if you are not already on them).

One other thought. I know that some people can be at a cancer
risk on birth control pills (my sister died from breast cancer and my
daughter has tumors in her uterus), but for me the relief is worth the
risk.

As I stated before, if any women are having this type of problem, or
have solved this problem please let me know.  I have gone through
the archives and continue to gather information about women and
pd, especially women who have not finished menopause yet.

"don't forget how to laugh, and do it often"
http://members.tripod.com/~marling