Peter Dawkins said in part:

> ---Just to let you know that sometimes you can beat city hall.  For all
> those that have been following the Tasmar adventures downunder I'll
recap-
> The Government passed the drug for use but another group of "experts"
called
> The Pharmaceutical Advisory Board knocked it back for subsidy by the
> pharmaceutical benefits scheme on the basis it was another enzyne
blocker
> like Eldepryl(Deprynll), which was cheaper and already available. As we
all
> know they act entirely differently and can not be compared. They reviewed
it
> three times, giving it the thumbs down each time putting it out of the
reach
> of most patients($220 to $300 for a months supply).
> I encouraged a letter writing campaign and finished up taking three
> prominent neurologists to Canberra last week to explain to the health
> ministers department the importance of the medication for some pd
sufferers.
> The letter writing(over 300 were received) a press campaign with two
> prominent TV news shows picking up on it seemed to show the politicians
we
> meant business and last Friday the PBS reversed its decision.  Never say
> never!
> Peter Dawkins

Here is a pat on the back for you and the over 300 letter writers.  There
is force in numbers of pwp acting as a unit to get something important
corrected.

 I just wrote another letter to the KCStar, a large metropolitan newspaper
in Missouri, USA re: good fiscal management for congress to pass research
$$$ for pd.  If any subscribers/readers see any comments in Laura Scott's
editorial column, please comment to list or to my e-mail address. Her
column runs every other Thursday.

 For those KCStar readers who want e-mail addresses of editors, colomnist,
etc. at the Star try the
URL<http://www.kcstar.com/opinion/opstaff/staff.htm>  When a letter I wrote
to the Star in June via e-mail was received, I was called to confirm that I
had e-mailed a letter, but was not told the letter would be or was
published.  I also mailed a hard copy of the letter along with information
about where Parkinson's data could be confirmed ie. NPF, PAN, APDA numbers
and referred to the famous Dr. Koeller of KUMed Ctr., KC, KS as a resource.
That letter was published on June 26, 1998 in the letters section of the
paper along with a host of letters about the expansion of UMKC. That letter
was sent to the e-mail address<[log in to unmask]>.

Peter's post confirms what I already believed, many voices are better heard
than one alone.  Send in the letters, e-mails and keep calling your
congresssional reps. or any person or group who can/should help pwp.

Jeanette Fuhr 47/10mos.