At 17:46 4-9-98 EDT, Mary Legan wrote:
>I've had an experience which I need your help to explain.  I was diagnosed
>with PD (the rigidity type) ~ 6 yrs ago, and now take 6 Sinemet 10/100
tablets
>& 4 Sinemet 25/100 CR throughout the day, plus one or both early am if
>necessary.  I do have rather severe end-dose "offs", no dyskenesias; mornings
>are my best time.

Mary,
The fact that you are now feeling relatively well, after some sinemetless
days does not prove that you don't have PD or that your PD improved, but is
an indication that the symptoms of your severe "end of dose offs" are not
merely symptoms  of PD but are leva-dopa induced, "withdrawal" symptoms.
Like you have experienced, I also have unexpected reactions, when I
temporarely stop using sinemet. I have like you also the benefit of sleep,
so I am not that bad in the morning before I take any meds. When I don't do
anything, just sit and read or listen to music this feeling relatively well
may last the whole day. I even feel better under this circumstances than I
feel with sinemet. I feel much more quietness. Under influence of sinemet I
always feel a kind of pushed around, an inner tension, when "on"  and
dystonia and dyskinesia when wearing off or as interdose response  To be
able to do something like typing or walking, I do need sinemet. With the
help of Tasmar I have now reduced my sinemet intake to only 200 mg. each
day. But that has only decreased and not stopped my wearing off dysinesia.
These "wearing off" symptoms did arouse in the past much discussion on the
list, because not everyone believed they even existed at all. Now it is
much mentioned in the research literature and a research project of Cotzias
has started to find the molecular basis. It has been for years my
impression that "wearing  off" dystonia and dyskinesia are quite different
from top of meds symptoms and that the first had some familiarity with
"wearing off" symptoms of heroin or other addictive drugs, abstinence
symptoms or "cold Turkey". Reading about addiction I found that all
addicting stuffs cause a heightening of the levo-dopa level in the brain
and the abstinence symptoms arive as soon as this level is decreasing
again. So I searched in the litterature on treatment of addicts for meds
who are used to fight the "cold Turkey".
With some help I now did find a drug that is expected to be able to do this
and is also expected to fight "wearing off" levo-dopa induced dyskinesia.
It is a glutamate antagonist and the name is dextrometorphan. It is used as
an ingredient in an over the counter anti-cough  med., but can not be used
in combination with a MAO inhibitor (selegeline).( Before using it one has
to stop selegeline a few weeks at least). I myself will not use it before
having consulted my neuro.

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]