BOTOX therapy consists of administration of a small dose of botulinum toxin,
which  temporarily blocks acetylcholine release from peripheral nerves,
paralyzing the muscle at  the site of injection.  This therapy has been used
for a decade to treat involuntary or unbalanced movements.  it is safe and
effective. The Botulinum A toxin we use is a purified strain,  very carefully
produced, to be of standardized strength and biologic activity.  [This is not
soup-can-botulism.]  The treatment consists of  subcutaneous injection with a
tiny needle at multiple sites.   Because the effect is temporary, treatment
must be repeated  about every 3 months. This is an effective treatment for
neurologic conditions characterized by overaction of muscular contraction, eg.
dystonias, especially essential blepharospasm; hemifacial spasm; spasmodic
torticollis; writer's cramp... I have also administered it to patients with
facial palsies to allow eye closure until the nerve regenerates, or with
double vision caused by underaction of  one of the  nerves moving the eyes to
allow single vision until the nerve regenerates; or for aberrant regeneration
of the facial nerve.  I have offered BOTOX  to a few PWP who had such severe
blepharospasm or apraxia of eyelid opening that they couldn't see. Since
paralyzing superficial facial muscles relaxes the lines on the face, some
dermatologists are even using BOTOX injections as a temporary "chemosurgical"
face lift.
Jacqueline Winterkorn, PhD, MD [and PWP]