Dear Senator Stevens,                                   11 Sep 94

I celebrate your vision concerning budgeting "earmarked funds" for specific
diseases.  My issue is Parkinson's Disease (PD).  I confess to knowing very
little about funding research on prostate cancer.  However, we both know that
Chairman John Porter (House Appropriations Committee), Dr. Harold Varmus
(Director, NIH), and others see things differently than we do.

I understand that they share these two notions:
1.  That those initiatives which involve earmarking of funds (in particular
for prostate cancer and PD), somehow, represent congressional "micromanaging"
of the NIH.
2. That this situation constitutes some sort of Trojan horse to get politics
into the world of research science.

Our points:
1 Those notions are highly theoretical, and not logical (I can expand on
that).  To hold them one must be more concerned with power than with getting
the job done.  This is not wise.
2. Acting on them constitutes a (functional) lack of compassion.
Their false logic appeals most to someone who can go home and relax in a
healthy body.

Other considerations:
1.  The legislative process has already earmarked funds (E.G.:  PL 105-78-the
Udall Act).  More than enough additional money was given the NIH as general
funding.  Now by refusing to spend on direct PD research, Dr Varmus (a
bureaucrat) is thwarting the law of the land.
2. Slowing research funding slows finding new therapy and perhaps a cure.
This does neither the sufferer nor the taxpayer any favor.
The logic that curing PD quickly will be enormously cost effective, is
indisputable.  The $100 million in yearly research and education funds
approved in PL 105-78 is a pittance compared to the cost of maintaining the
status quo.

I understand that general NIH funding has again been increased in the current
budget and may be increased even more.  I think this is wise.  However, these
funds need to be used appropriately.  Perhaps earmarking of funds might prove
to be an effective tool for regular use (In fields where the situation is
ripe.)

Perhaps prostrate cancer research and PD research can lead the way.  God bless
you.

William H Heitman, M.D. (Ret)
Mary F. Heitman, CG
409 Emily Drive
O'Fallon,  IL  62269
 Phone: (618) 628-0123  Fax: (618) 628-0134 e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Time is money.  Time is life. End Parkinson's Disease, now.