Dennis Greene wrote:

> Median refers to the age itself, not to the numbers afflicted.   It
> is derived by finding the middle point between the age of the
> youngest  and oldest age of onset

As you point out, median age is different from average age.  But
the meaning of the phrase "median age" with which I am familiar is
that age than which half of the population in question is older
and half is younger.  I do not know of a term for the midpoint
of a range.

Or is this one of those words that means one thing in America and
another in Oz? ;-)

Just to add to the confusion, there is a third concept, the most
frequently occuring value.  This is what would be meant by saying
that most people are diagnosed at age 57.  The statistical term for
this is the "mode".

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9