hi ed;

you wrote:
>I have on this list before and there was so much e-mail
>I had to get off four a while, I have been off about a
>year. I decided I must learn all I can about this life
>distroying THING. I was diagnosed 2 -1/2 years ago I am
>now 64 1/2. 30 Days ago I incresed my medication.
>I take ELDEPRYL 5 MG th 7:00am and 12:00pm. SINEMET CR
>25/100 TAB - 2 at 7:00am - 2 at 12:00pm - 2 at 5:00pm.
>Before my next dose of medication I get to the place
>when I stand up to walk I cannot pick up my feet. I do
>not  feel stiff I  just can not lift my feet. When I do
>I seem to go to fast and I must watch to keep from falling.
>When I get going, I do alright untill I stop again.
>This does not happen all the time. It dosn't seem like my
>doctor is willing to try any thing new. When I can tell
>a differance in 30 days, you know my friends can tell a
>lot of differance I would  appreciate any suggestion.

i am glad to see you back here, ed

as far as i am concerned this is the best place
to start learning about our own pd management
and becoming our own pd advocate

if we don't do it,
who will?

you say that you increased your meds 30 days ago
and that you and your friends have noticed a difference

what were your symptoms/responses like prior to your med increase?
and how much did your meds increase by?

not being able to lift your feet
is a common pd symptom called 'freezing'

taking small steps at an increasing rate till you fear falling
is also another common pd symptom called 'festination'

these are both symptoms directly related to pd
and not a reaction to levodopa
thus my first instinct is to think that you are undermedicated

your meds may have been increased from
one cr tablet every five hours to
two cr tablets every five hours

if so, and if your pd symptoms get worse
during the time before your next meds are due,
e.g. at 11:00am and at 4:00pm
you are probably getting 'roller-coaster' coverage
of your symptoms from your meds

the effectiveness of your cr tablets would probably be improved
by taking one tablet every two and a half hours
instead of two tablets every five hours

if your doctor is unwilling to try anything new
i think it's time to find a new doctor

this disease affects everyone differently
and needs to be handled with patience, flexibility, and imagination

the only thing written in stone about pd management
is the attitude of some un-informed medicos

please let us know how you are doing

your cyber-sibling

janet

http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson