From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Mary Yost
Sent:   Sunday, September 13, 1998 1:41 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Udall -- letter to the editor in the Sunday LA Times

It took me three tries, but finally I wrote a letter to the editor that was
short enough that the LA TImes printed it.  They only lopped off a couple
of sentences at the end.  It appeared in today's Sunday edition,
circulation 1, 385,373.   As my dear departed mother always said, "Fools
names and fools faces are often seen in public places."  But this fool
hopes that some people will read it.   Here's what they printed:

"When Janet Reno speaks, one million Americans don't listen:  we're too
busy watching her hands.  If the tremor is bad, we fellow citizens with
Parkinson's worry that the stress is getting to her, making her
medications less effective.  We're  cheering her on:  "Go, Janet!  Show
the world that people with Parkinson's can handle real work and cope with
the daily roller coaster of slow motion vs.  uncontrollable shakes."
Most of us hide our disability on the true assumption that few people
understand what Parkinson's is.  This is despite the fact that the most
recognized man in the world, Muhammad Ali, is standing up for us.

"After a five-year, quiet, persistent, grass roots campaign for federal
funding ,
the Udall Bill for Parkinson's Research was passed last year.  Then
Congress played a cruel trick:   It didn't appropriate funding for the bill
in the budget! "

"Mary F. Yost
coordinator, LA Metro Young Onset Parkinson's Network"