---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joseph G. Konick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Short-term Disability - Work - Future

I am 46 years old, diagnosed with Parkinsons about 6 years ago (slight
symptoms appearing a while earlier) and am now on short-term
disability/medical leave from my job.  I've been on medical leave for
about 2 1/2 months.  I have been the office manager of a branch office of
a major international law firm for 18 years. The job has been extremely
intense, stressful and demanding.  My symptoms (muscle rigidity,
dyskenisias from medication/disease, depression, anxiety) made it
necessary for this leave as I was not handling anything well (I believe
I was burned out as well).  I avoided
confrontations, ignored certain problems because I couldn't handle them
both physically and psychologically.  Fortunately, I was able to
bring someone on/train someone on to help with the running of the office
while I took
this medical leave.  When I think about going back to work I get a knot
in my stomach and wonder whether I can do the job or whether I should
even try.  I'm just not sure what to do....I'm not sure what I can do.

Has anyone on the list felt this way?  Any advice?

Much appreciated.

Thanks.
J. Konick