I went through a very similar situation a few months ago.  I had never thought
about disability until the reality was thrust upon me by two converging
factors:  One -- the results of a complete neuropsychological workup, which
were conveyed to me together with the information that some of my ratings and
scorings looked like a person's who could readily qualify for disability; and,
two -- the combination of PD and Type I diabetes became overwhelming, the PD
making it very difficult to control sugar levels, with repeated, disastrous
insulin reactions.

I simply had, like you, to go on STD; but I did so w/full expectations of
returning on at least a 60% basis, plus moonlighting to make up the
difference.  Once out on STD for a couple of months, both the improved health
situation and the confirmations of the neuropsych workup  resultls, however,
made me start to feel you reservations about returning to the regular workaday
situation on any basis, i.e. to recognize that I had no place being in the
full time workplace anymore.

So, my advice would be to talk with your doctor (s) about it;  possibly get
yourself a neuropsych. eval, or do whatever you need to do to honestly assess
your  fitness for sustained working, and do what those kinds of information
suggest.

I'm now on LTD, working as a consultant 3-5 hours/wk, and plan to submit  a
claim to social security for disability by month's end.

John Bachman