hi all

i sent the following message to oprah today
along with my "off - revisited" post

janet

http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson

Dear Oprah;

I am sending this message to you as part of a group effort to ask your
assistance
in making the varied faces of Parkinson's Disease [PD] more visible (and thus,
the
toll of this disease more understood).

PD is widely and incorrectly thought of as 'an old person's disease'. I first
noticed symptoms in 1984 at age 37, and was diagnosed in 1988 at age 41. I
have
included below a message about my hour-by-hour experience with PD.

I have learned, thanks to 'the PD list', that, statistically, a case can be
made
for stating that fully half of all PD diagnoses apply to people under 47 years
of
age.

The negative shock of this idea can be countered by the news of positive
developments in pharmaceutical and surgical treatments for PD which are
published
with increasing frequency. A cure is no longer considered an impossibility.

I am grateful to be a member of a unique Parkinson's Disease support group on
the
Internet, and consider our e-mailing-list-cyber-family one of the un-sung
miracles
of our time.

We use this on-line mailing list by sending e-mail messages into a central
computer (located at the University of Toronto), which then instantly copies
those
messages to all 1600 members world-wide.

If I were to send in an inquiry about medications, for instance, I might have
several knowledgeable and helpful replies within hours or even minutes.

As an example of the type of communication that we share with each other, I
have
included below a copy of a message about my hour-by-hour experience with PD.

Any assistance that you could provide in making Parkinson's Disease more
visible
would be deeply appreciated.

Best regards,

Janet Paterson

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web Page: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
Telephone: 613 256 1859
Address: PO Box 1456, Almonte, Ontario, Canada K0A 1A0

Subj: what does 'off' mean? - re-visited
Date: 98/07/09
etc...