When we lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, my wife went through two
episodes of a nervous breakdown (triggered by post partum depression)
back in 1965 and 1971. The first time (two weeks after our first son was
born) our pastor and I took her to the mental hospital (at 3 in the
morning), she thought she was Mary, I was Joseph, and our son was Jesus.
All my life growing up in Arkansas the mental hospital at Little Rock
was a gloomy, forbidding place where people went in and never came out.
This was what I thought I was in for with my wife. I got to visit her
two weeks later, and she was a changed lady. She was the person I had
loved and married 5 years earlier. What caused this dramatic change was
Electro Convulsive Therapy (ECT). She remained hospitalized for three
months receiving periodic ECT and Insulin Shock Therapy. I was able to
visit her on the grounds for two hours on Wednesdays and Sundays. The
treatment is neither barbaric nor painful. She was given a muscle
relaxant to avoid breaking bones during the ECT, plus a mouth piece to
protect the teeth. She would be a little dazed and experienced loss of
short term memory for about two hours after the ECT. The unconscious
state is absolutely immediate and she experienced no pain (or at least
never has had any memory of experiencing pain). It was the most dramatic
thing I have ever seen in my life. Her memory of many events during a
few months prior to her hospitalization has never completely returned,
that portion has been partially erased. Her second time (six weeks after
our third son was born) was at her request, because she had come to
recognize when she needed help. Too bad the treatment has received bad
un-informed publicity and we just allow people who could be helped to
roam the streets homeless. The bleeding heart do-gooders are actually
doing those people a disservice. ECT was directly responsible for nearly
emptying our mental hospitals a few decades ago. However, there was no
follow up and continued periodic treatment for most of those who needed
it.

I'm not a doctor, but having some knowledge as an engineer and some
knowledge of the brain's operation, I liken the situation to a computer
that has to be shut down and re-booted to get rid of the corruption that
has occurred in the programming. I think this is what ECT accomplishes.
Of course when that happens, we sometimes lose data or files that were
in use when the system crashed. I'm sure that there have been tremendous
improvements over the last 27 years. I recommend it without reservation
if the Doctor thinks it is a proper treatment for your Mother's
condition.

Who knows, it might even be great for someone with PD. Jump start those
little dopamine producing suckers.

[log in to unmask] (home)
[log in to unmask] (work)