Liz,
        You might want to try asking if they'll allow your husband to go in with (you
may want to try explaining your situation first!). If that doesn't work, I'd
ask to speak with either the department manager or the store manager. They
need to know that their fitting rooms don't always work in all situations.
Perhaps they'll consider making a wheelchair accessible unisex fitting room.
When I worked in a store, I always felt that the racks of clothes were too
close together, and that someone who uses a wheelchair should have gone
through the store with the manager and pointed this out to him (or her).
Perhaps this is the same sort of thing that needs to be done with the fitting
rooms!
Trish