I have not had any shock therapy, but  I am a retired nurse  who worked on a
psychiatric ward in the 50s. I must admit it looked barbaric then, however it
saved lives, because it was used then as now to prevent suicide. It is true that
then we had no antidepressants, but now that we do, they frequently take too long
to act and EST is quick and necessary, with minimal confusion afterward. In the
50s  my father was very depressed , to the point of sucide (for no know reason)
and had EST then and again in the late  60s or early 70s  it was necessary to
repeat it, there was all the difference in the world in the amount of confusion he
had after each session. He just went back to work and carried on with his life as
if it had never happened. If any ones doctor  should recommend EST  it would be a
good idea to follow that advice. Nita Andres