Kim:  We had some sticky notes at one point that were to be used in this
situation.  they showed the blue wheelchair logo with a message to the
effect that an opposite-sex caregiver was using the restroom facilities to
help a disabled person, the idea being to post one on the door when you
went in.  I'll try to track down the source for these.

At 01:12 AM 9/16/98 EDT, you wrote:
>how do you handle public rest room situations?  my parents are in their 70s.
>mom is  dad's caregiver.  he is mobile, but not always capable of doing the
>whole rest room thing by himself.  sometimes it's just physcially dealing
with
>clothes, etc.  other times it's more of the confusion issue (sit's down with
>his undershorts still on to go to the bathroom, not always sure which way to
>face, etc.)
>
>she's uncomfortable taking him into the men's rest room. and she worries
about
>him being uncomfortable going into the ladies room.  therefore, this is just
>one more reason they are avoiding a lot of extended "out of the house"
>activities.
>
>i'm interested in hearing how others handle this situation.  any advice will
>be greatly appreciated.  thanks.
>
>kim

Carole Cassidy
Director of Developmenet and Community Relations
The Parkinson's Institute
1170 Morse Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA  94089
408-542-5628 direct line