sorry if this is a duplicate - i've tried to correct the formatting - jp

Hi all;

Way back in May, I asked my cyber family for advice re applying for a
disability pension and was impressed with all the help I received.

Since the Ontario provincial government regulations changed radically on June
1st, my application got bogged down in the ensuing confusion. But, it is all
for the best, I'm convinced.

The new regulations look like a vast improvement over the old ones.

The onus of deciding what constitutes a disability has been transferred to a
separate more professionally managed adjudication committee which uses
detailed medical declarations from the applicant and the applicant's medical
consultants as the basis for their decision.

The entire documentation of the Act is on the Ministry's web-site. For those
who are interested, I have downloaded all of the details of the regulations
and have converted them from Adobe Acrobat format to plain text format.

Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services
News Release Communique
June 1, 1998

ONTARIO KEEPS ITS PROMISE TO CREATE NEW INCOME AND EMPLOYMENT SUPPORT PROGRAM
FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

Kitchener - People with disabilities who are in financial need will benefit
from a new Income Support Program, the Minister of Community and Social
Services Janet Ecker, announced today. The Ontario Disability Support Program
Act, which receives proclamation today, creates a new disability support
program, ODSP.

The new program has two components: an Income Support Program for people with
disabilities who are in financial need; and an Employment Support Program that
recognizes many people with disabilities can and do want to work.

"We made a commitment to people with disabilities in this province that we
would create a better system," said Minister Ecker. "We listened to what they
told us about the old system that didn't work, we consulted with them on what
they do need, and we have delivered a program that directly responds to their
concerns."

Minister Ecker made the announcement at the Ontario Municipal Social Service
Association's annual general meeting in Kitchener. She later visited the
Ontario March of Dimes in Waterloo to meet with local agencies representing
people with disabilities.

The President of the Ontario March of Dimes, Duncan Read, said his
organization has supported the ODSP and worked with the government throughout
its development.

"What's positive is the program's recognition that people with disabilities
have the desire and the ability to work. The removal of the label permanently
unemployable and the elimination of a financial penalty if attempts at
employment fail are fundamental to persons with disabilities achieving
independence."

"Our government has taken a leadership role in meeting the needs of people
with disabilities. Ontario presently provides the highest level of disability
support among Canadian provinces," said Minister Ecker. "We worked closely
with organizations such as the Ontario March of Dimes to create a new program
that doesn't limit people's opportunities by labeling them unemployable."

Everyone eligible to receive support as a person with a disability, or because
they have been previously classified as permanently unemployable, or because
of their age under the Family Benefits Assistance definition on May 31, 1998,
are transferred to the ODSP income support program today.

Highlights of the new Income Support Program include: a new definition that
does not limit people's opportunities by labeling them unemployable;
protection of benefits if a job attempt fails; retesting only in cases where a
person's disability is expected to improve; people will no longer have to pay
the 25 per cent consumer co-payment for the Ministry of Health's Assistive
Devices program; more generous rules regarding limits on assets, compensation
awards, gifts and inheritances, and cash surrender values of life insurance
policies.

The new Employment Support Program responds to long-standing calls for action
from people with disabilities to support their desire to work. It replaces the
Vocational Rehabilitation Services program with a program that better meets
the needs of people with disabilities who can and do want to work.

People receiving ODSP benefits will decide if they wish to use the Employment
Support Program. People with disabilities who do not receive ODSP benefits may
also be eligible for employment support.

"We know the population of people with disabilities is growing. We want to
ensure that as much money as possible goes to direct service instead of
administrative costs," said Minister Ecker.

"Therefore, we are doubling the amount of available employment support to
people with disabilities from $18 to $35 million."

The Ministry has set up an information phone line at 1-888-789-4199. In
Toronto, call 416-325-5666.  Visit the Ministry Internet site at
http://www.gov.on.ca/CSS.

janet paterson - 51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/