My mother Joyce (69/1) just called and her new doctor thinks that she
doesn't have PD.  She is very fuzzy on what he said except that it is in
the family of Parkinson's. He noticed how she has slowed down so much in a
month. My father said she can barely function (i.e., put on shoes, get
things out of the refrigerator).

The doctor is reducing her PD drugs, gave her a shot of B12, put her on
Rilutek (50 mg.) and Artane (2 mg.) (I don't know the exact doses). He said
something about paralysis and these drugs possibly slowing things down.

My parents THINK the doctor said that the above drugs are meant for a
certain disease, but that she doesn't necessarily have it -- however, it
may help with what she has. When I asked what that disease was, she
couldn't remember. When I mentioned ALS, she thought that was it, but when
I said this to my father, he didn't think this is what the doctor said.

I realize I am not giving you a lot of clear info here -- it's all I have.
I have asked my mother to get authorization for me to speak to the doctor
so I can get straight on what he thinks.

I biggest fear is that she has ALS. What I am wondering now is the
following:

1. Does anyone know what the above drugs are prescribed for (I'm going to
do a search as soon as I'm done with this)?
2. I realize that some of my mother's symptoms are consistent with an ALS
diagnosis, but does anyone know whether ALS includes these symptoms, too:

internal tremors
the heavy head (and the slouched position)
mild tremor

Part of what I'm wondering is whether it would be reasonable to mistake ALS
for PD at an early stage.

I'm not a religious person, but right now I've got all my signals out that
on this one. As always, I thank you for whatever information you can pass
on.

Debbie White