At 20:59 16-9-98 -0400, you wrote:
>I guess my next question is does anyone know of a Parkinsonian disease
>resembling ALS and that Rilutek would be used for (I'm grasping at straws
>here)??
>
>Debbie White

Debbie,

I am very interested knowing about a neuro subscribing rilutek(a new med.
that is supposed to slow the disease process  of Lou Gehrings disease, but
that, being a glutamate-antagonist, can be expected on theoretical grounds
to be effective against leva-dopa induced dyskinesia of PWP's too. I wrote
about a week ago something about dextrometorphan, which is a
glutamate-antagonist, and an ingredient of an over the counter cough syrop
(Darolan in Holland).
I was pointed on that as a reaction on my question about a possible similarity
between the physiological process that causes leva-dopa induced dyskinesia
especially the interdose- or wearing off kind and cold turkey symptoms of
drug addicts. They are also supposed to be diminished by anti-glutamates. I
got an atricle in print, and no scanner, from CNS drugs, juni 1998,blz. 421
-429 Glutamate Antagonists for Parkinson's Disease, Rationale for Use and
Therapeutic Implications Alison J Cooper, Camille B. Carroll, and Ian J
Mitschell.
If someone is interested and can't procure it from Pubmed, I'll type and
send the summary.
Debbie, I am very interested to know the rationale of  your mothers doc
subscribing it, and if he has done so before to other patients and what are
the results. But probably you will be able only to tell about the results
of this meds for your mother and that will be interesting for me too. Let's
hope for the best for your mother in the first place,
                                              Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]