Dear Debbie: As far as I know, there is no medical test that can
positively diagnose Alzheimer's. I think that the only way to be
positive is by an autopsy. I'm
so sorry to be telling you this, God knows, I have been down that road.
I took my dad in to see my neurologist after we were certain that it was
Alzheimer's, but were grasping at straws-I think that my siblings were
hoping beyond hope that it was anything but the obvious. My dad was
combative & mad as hell about the whole business! (I can almost smile,
now, at the recollection.) My doc said that from all aspects he could
determine-it was Al's, but he couldn't say for sure until my dad had an
(gasp) autopsy & daddy certainly wasn't having one of those willingly!
The doctor prescribed the same two drugs for dad & sincerely said that
we would need all the prayers & help we could get-mom & dad had moved
out to our house the year before. Our local Alzheimer's Association
proved to be an invaluable help to us. They lent us reading materials,
helped with paperwork, lists of options etc., they even had puppets to
help my kids deal with grandpa's illness.
Saddly/Thankfully, my dad died in Feb. of this year. May God Bless you
as you go down whatever road you face. You'll be in my prayers. Please
contact me off-list if you'd just feel like talking. Sincerely,
---
Joan Snyder  (47/8) "Do or do not. There is no try."Yoda
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/snyder/page1.htm