Let me tell you a story. In the country of my birth, during my college
years, there was a student protestt. At another university in a
different city.  A peaceful demonstration was broken up by police
violence, and terrified students ran into a neighbouring church for
protection. The police followed them in, and arrested them . None too
gently. The newspapers carried a picture of a policeman dragging one
girl by her hair.I sent a telegram to my Member of Parliament, text
something like: PLEASE REPRESENT MY CONDEMNATION OF VIOLATION OF
SANCTUARY"  We got a reply. Or at least my mother received a letter,
strongly recommending she keep her daughter under better control.I give
no further details, even though that was 30 years ago, and there has
been a complete change of governmennt in that country.  Because,  even
now, something inside of me fears reprisals.
But  now I live here, a citizen of the U.S.A. , and proud and grateful
for that  oppportunity.   And I can't help being so excited, each time I
write a  letter to a congressman or a senator, and I get a  reply. I run
around and tell all the neighbours, and I extoll the land of the free.
Where I have the freedom to write to a senator -- and get a reply.
Hilary Blue