I finally spoke to my mother's doctor today and she does NOT have ALS --
she has no paraylsis. What he believes she has, however, is striato nigrao
degeneration -- a particularly aggressive form of PD that will leave her
frozen faster than we had anticipated. This is based on observation and my
mother's history with PD drugs. Her PD drugs were recently increased and
she got even worse.

My mother's doctor is Fazzini (NY) and he is cutting down the Sinemet and
the Requip and getting rid of the Permax. He is adding Artane and Rilutek.
Rilutek is used for ALS but he believes it may help slow the progression of
the type of PD she has. According to Fazzini, some of his patients taking
Rilutek have delayed going to a wheelchair and others have become like
"regular PD" patients. In any case, I'll take this over ALS anyday.

I will keep everyone posted on her experience with these drugs.

Also, does anyone have information on striato nigrao degeneration? Again,
thanks so much for all the responses.

Debbie White