> I am very interested knowing about a neuro subscribing rilutek(a new med.
> that is supposed to slow the disease process  of Lou Gehrings disease, but
> that, being a glutamate-antagonist, can be expected on theoretical grounds
> to be effective against leva-dopa induced dyskinesia of PWP's too. I wrote
> about a week ago something about dextrometorphan, which is a
> glutamate-antagonist, and an ingredient of an over the counter cough syrop
> (Darolan in Holland).
In the UK it is sold under the trade name Benylin, Dry Coughs . I
tried it for end of dose dyskinesia . There was a considerable
reduction in strength and duration of dyskinesia . I am not using it
on a regular basis because the dextromethorphan  hydrobromide
contains bromide . This bromide may be detrimental to PD ( possibly )
 Thanks for the info . Any further info would be much appreciated .

> I was pointed on that as a reaction on my question about a possible similarity
> between the physiological process that causes leva-dopa induced dyskinesia
> especially the interdose- or wearing off kind and cold turkey symptoms of
> drug addicts. They are also supposed to be diminished by anti-glutamates. I
> got an atricle in print, and no scanner, from CNS drugs, juni 1998,blz. 421
> -429 Glutamate Antagonists for Parkinson's Disease, Rationale for Use and
> Therapeutic Implications Alison J Cooper, Camille B. Carroll, and Ian J
> Mitschell.
> If someone is interested and can't procure it from Pubmed, I'll type and
> send the summary.
> Debbie, I am very interested to know the rationale of  your mothers doc
> subscribing it, and if he has done so before to other patients and what are
> the results. But probably you will be able only to tell about the results
> of this meds for your mother and that will be interesting for me too. Let's
> hope for the best for your mother in the first place,
>                                               Ida

> Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,
>
> Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]

     peace
          Alastair     ( [log in to unmask] )