On April 7 of last year I too made a decision to go on STD, I too planned
on returning.  My situation was different, no lawyers, just an evil power
hungery,people destroying person (and that is being r-e-a-l-l-y nice!!!!!).
I had worked my way up in the newspaper advertising business and was in the
second highest position in advertising when "it" arrived.  I prefer "it" to
qualifying this so called person as a human being in hopes that no human
would ever be this evil.  I was a threat to her (why I do not know) but, I
was and so she sweetened the pot and then poured vinegar in it.  Needless
to say Sta-ta-ta-ta stress was highly prevelent.  The 6 months I endured
with her was HELL(after working 8 1/2 years at this paper, and being
promoted almost every year).  My symptoms progressed at high speed.  My
doctor had been recommending for over 1 year for me to consider disability
and now was even more convinced,but, not me folks, I am a single parent,
cared for and raised my two children alone from ages 3 and 5 to their
current ages of 23 & 25 and had always been able to pick myself up by my
"bootstraps" and conquer anything.  So, no PD or "it" was going to defeat
me.  Between "it", PD,Fibromyalsia and/or Chronic Fatigue Syndrom or both
who knows and I almost forgot something I had also never experienced
before, depression.  Well, I went out on STD on April 7,97 and filed for
State Disablilty and Social Security.  After 3 months of sleeping, hurting,
crying and lamenting, I knew I could not do the same job.  So, I decided to
you would think that would be humiliating but, I had a wonderful peace
about doing that and had made good friends in the company.  That would be
easy and fun (I thought) but, to my dissappointment, it was not.  If it had
not been for my staff (which really wasn't my staff anymore) that
graciously covered up my errors and did alot of running for me to customers
etc. and friends in other departments covering for me.  I would not have
made it the 3 weeks I did.  It was fighting but, I knew in my heart what I
needed to do.  This may sound like a depressing story......
but, read on, it gets a whole lot better!  I was so frightened, what would
I do?  How would I live?  I have a very strong faith in God, but, at that
very dark hour, my faith was very weak.  But, God says in our weakness He
is made Strong!  Here is the results......Little did I know that my company
 carried a Long Term Disabilty Plan for their employees that pays 70% of
your most recent wages until I am 62 (I was 48 at the time) and then my
retirement would kick in.  To me that is miracle #1.  Miracle #2 was that
if I had worked one more day, I would have received 70% of my salespersons
wage instead of my Advertising Managers wage.
I am required by the LTD company to apply for social security and appeal
the maximum amount of times aloud.  So, my LTD company paid me 70% of my
wages but, deducted the estimated amount that SS would eventually pay. At
first that was not too bad, because I was able to collect State Disability
for 1 year.  It was less than SS should pay but, still ok.   As nice as all
this was my income was considerably less because I also made bonues,
spiffs, commission,etc with my position and the 70% was of salary only.
Miracle #3 is that a very dear friend of mine decided it would be
beneficial for the two of us to share housing.  Actually our children
(which are like siblings) decided first and then spoke to us.  My friend
had recently divorced and her youngest son was going off to Evangel College
in Missouri, with her help, of course.  So, both of us needed financial
adjustments.  Miracle #4,  3 weeks ago, after only one appeal with SS, I
was approved and sent a retro check for Oct 97 through July of this year.
I know not everyone has this kind of story, but, I do pray that you will.
Hang in there, don't forget how important you are, think of your needs, be
a little selfish at this time.  I am learning a lot.  It has been very hard
to go from someone that was very career orientated and with a very sharp
mind to being home, not working, and struggeling sometimes to get out the
words that I want to say... I see them know what they are, but, can't get
them out.  I now look at this as a new adventure, the second half of my
life, a new beginning, not how I planned it but, has the potential to be
what my attitude wants it to be.
God Bless You,
Linda Greulich

Linda L. Greulich ~~ [log in to unmask]