Dear Allan,

> Barbara recently ran into very serious and extensive tooth decay after years
> of very sound teeth. The dentist feels it is the PD that is the major
> contributor. Several theories he advanced: 1) the Parkinson medications
> themselves 2) mouth dryness which allows food, especially candy to become
> attached to teeth and 3) a combination.

This problem is not at all uncommon among my clients; I agree with
Barbara's dentist. The PD meds often lead to dry mouth, which can then
lead to many problems, including infections and cavities. I encourage my
clients to tell their dentists that they have PD and which meds they
use; many dentists will advise a fluoride rinse or treatment, artificial
saliva, or other aid to help prevent this.

Registered dietitians are always concerned about oral health, because
loss of teeth can seriously interfere with digestion; and dentures can
often cause sores and other mouth problems.

It sounds like Barbara's dentist is giving her excellent care!

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD