There is a old saying which states "be careful what you ask for - you might
get it".  This might almost be restated as "be careful what you say -
someone might think you mean it".  A prime example of this was when I was
told by one of my wife's relations that my PD was worse for my wife than it
was for me, because "it is harder to watch someone you love suffer, than to
suffer yourself".  She meant well so I held back from saying "so you would
rather Jo had the PD?"  - which I know she didn't mean, but which was the
unavoidable implication of what she actually said.

Some time ago I fell into a similar trap.  I found myself praying for and
hoping for a personal miracle.  I wanted to be free of PD and if medical
science was going to take its time I wanted God to step in on my behalf.
Friends joined in and things became pretty intense for a while.  But I found
myself becoming more and more uneasy.  Eventually I identified some of the
causes of my unease.  They included a realisation that at some level I
didn't just want a miracle, I was expecting one, whilst on another level I
knew that a miracle is , by definition, not something that happens just
because you follow a set procedure or have faith enough.  The consequences
of pinning all my hopes on a miracle and then not getting one terrified me.
I also started to feel that asking for a personal cure  implied that I
believed that I was "owed" something, that for some reason I was special and
more deserving of rescue than others who have this disease.  That is not how
I feel but it is the inescapable, even if unintended, implication of what I
was saying and doing.

Those realisations brought with them their own implications.  Now I pray
that medical science be guided to a cure that will benefit all of us - and
on a personal level I ask that I be given the strength and courage to hold
on until they get it right.

Dennis

Dennis Greene 48/11

"It is better to be a crystal and be broken,
Than to remain perfect like a tile upon the housetop."

http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/