There has been much discussion on the list recently about donating
brains for Parkinson research.  Since this is a subject which has been
very much a part of my life for the last five years, I felt it was
important to pass on to all of you the experience I have had.

First of all, Sid felt that one of the most important contributions he
could make to further Parkinson research was to donate his brain to a
Parkinson only brain bank.  We enrolled in the program several years
before his death.  Many of you may remember that he died very suddenly
and expectedly.  At such a time, the thought of brain donations may well
be the last thing of which you think.  However, I did remember about a
half hour after his death, and raced home from the hospital to get the
necessary information on how to proceed.  From that point on, everything
that could go wrong, did. Finally, in May of this year,  I learned that
his brain was completely useless for research.  It is too long a story
to put on the list, but anyone who would like to know more about what
happened can email me privately and I will send you a copy of the
article I wrote about it.  My purpose it not to scare anyone, but rather
to alert you to the pitfalls that can occur so you can avoid them.

Re colon tissue appeal, I put that out at the request of Dr. Ronald
Pfeiffer, University of Tennessee (formerly University of Nebraska).  He
and his colleagues have done the most to research the gastrointestinal
effects of PD.  I don't know if he is still collecting colon tissue
because the request was issued several years ago.

I have not had any luck in getting the national foundations to print my
article, but any local or regional newsletter editor who is interested
has my permission to use it.

Donna Dorros, cg for Sid-30/68 (dec. 1993)
email: [log in to unmask]