donna:

I'd like to see a copy of your article and would appreciate it if you would
e-mail it privately as an attachment.  (That way, we won't mess up everyone
else's computers!)  It's very sad that you couldn't complete your plans and
you and Sid intended.  We sometimes run into problems collecting brains,
too--I imagine every brain bank does--even when plans are in place as yours
were.  By far the biggest problems, of course, are when NO plans have been
made...

Carole Cassidy

At 06:31 AM 9/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>There has been much discussion on the list recently about donating
>brains for Parkinson research.  Since this is a subject which has been
>very much a part of my life for the last five years, I felt it was
>important to pass on to all of you the experience I have had.
>
>First of all, Sid felt that one of the most important contributions he
>could make to further Parkinson research was to donate his brain to a
>Parkinson only brain bank.  We enrolled in the program several years
>before his death.  Many of you may remember that he died very suddenly
>and expectedly.  At such a time, the thought of brain donations may well
>be the last thing of which you think.  However, I did remember about a
>half hour after his death, and raced home from the hospital to get the
>necessary information on how to proceed.  From that point on, everything
>that could go wrong, did. Finally, in May of this year,  I learned that
>his brain was completely useless for research.  It is too long a story
>to put on the list, but anyone who would like to know more about what
>happened can email me privately and I will send you a copy of the
>article I wrote about it.  My purpose it not to scare anyone, but rather
>to alert you to the pitfalls that can occur so you can avoid them.
>
>Re colon tissue appeal, I put that out at the request of Dr. Ronald
>Pfeiffer, University of Tennessee (formerly University of Nebraska).  He
>and his colleagues have done the most to research the gastrointestinal
>effects of PD.  I don't know if he is still collecting colon tissue
>because the request was issued several years ago.
>
>I have not had any luck in getting the national foundations to print my
>article, but any local or regional newsletter editor who is interested
>has my permission to use it.
>
>Donna Dorros, cg for Sid-30/68 (dec. 1993)
>email: [log in to unmask]
>**********************************************************/ /* DDorros
                            */ /*
             */ /* Sent from Capital City Cyberlink

Carole Cassidy
Director of Developmenet and Community Relations
The Parkinson's Institute
1170 Morse Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA  94089
408-542-5628 direct line