In a message dated 1998/09/24  00:00:06, you write:

<<
 Beautifully said.  I found your poem very moving indeed.  It simehow
 reminded me of the Jewish refrain (from the Passover seder) Dayenu,
 meaning "it would have been enough" if God had only done this or
 that--but He did so much.  Your words, interlaced with my PD-future
 fears, held much more poignant meaning.

 Thank you.

hi nancy

ooops
i didn't intend to give anyone the impression that i wrote
the poem 'otherwise'

golly, i wish i could have!

it was written by one of my heroes, Jane Kenyon,
i have posted one or two of her poems before,
one about clinical depression

her last book was "Otherwise - New & Selected Poems"
her publisher is Graywolf Press
her husband is Donald Hall, also a poet

biographical notes from the book:

"Jane Kenyon was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1947. She published four
collections of poetry and translated the poetry of Anna Akhmatova. She was
awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship, the PEN Voelcker Award, and was featured with
her husband Donald Hall in the Emmy Award-winning Bill Moyers [television]
special "A Life Together". Jane Kenyon died in April 1995 after fifteen months
of struggle with leukemia."

janet

ps
the QT in the message header is my own abbreviation for Quote
i send them in as i find them
they are essentially words that resound with me
but written by others

pps
i'm glad you enjoyed the poem
and yes the words from the passover seder
echoed with me in this poem too

janet paterson - 51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/