Unless this was a funny, here is what my positive attitude received.  I first
contacted SS in June of 97.  I was not going to be working any long as the PD
was causing some concerns.  They sent the initial package of papers for me to
fill out promptly.  I sent them back within days.  Heard nothing form them.  I
waited 2 weeks, called them, started that they had received my papers but that
they would be in contact with me.  No contact, I called again.  Yes, needed to
make appointment with someone (counselor I asked), to go over my papers.  OK
oh come done anytime they have a first come first serve program.  I went and
waited and waited, and waited etc.  You catch my drift.  Finally at 4:00 PM I
was to see a young person about the papers and fill them out.  (I had already
filled them out.) Told me just talk to the counselor. OK.  Woman was
constantly interrupted to take phone calls, people coming in the door. make
copies.  It took quite a while.  Was told that SS would get back to me when
they made their determination.  I was so hopeful.  SS Received all of the Drs.
reports and promptly turned around and said no.   Here you file for the second
round with SS.  Filed all those papers, my tremors were so bad that day, and I
went by myself.  When they handed me the papers to fill out I tried very
nicely to tell her I could not write today.  In a very snotty voice "NOTHING,
YOU CAN WRITE ANYTHING" now I'm not prone to unnecessary crying but I broke I
started to cry and could not stop.  My number was finally called and a man,
poor man filled out the papers for me, together, I was still crying.  This
time I went to all the doctors, mine as well as SS's I drove everywhere, did
everything I was told to.  This time we added the PD to the list of problems.
Well, low and behold it was turned down again.
Just the sentence, that these are not enough to keep you from working.  I
couldn't imagine what I could do.  Bartender because of the Tremors didn't
need blender, somewhat risky for me, I'm recovering.  In an Ice Cream place
making sodas.
Well, I was told to hire and attorney.  OK.  My husband hired someone, not the
most energetic attorney I have every met but OK.  I went to 2 more doctors, I
went to a doctor in Chicago for me. Not SS but included the report.  My
Psychiatrist wrote the most eloquent letter I have ever read.  Stating that I
would be very lucky if I could just take care of myself and my home.  That
about sums it up.  So, I requested a Judge hearing of my case.  So, in the
meantime the "Attorney" goes on vacation, gets ill, takes his kids on
vacation, comes back ill again, paralegal quit, secretary quit and yes you
guessed it Receptionist quit.  If I called no one know anything.
I finally got a letter stating that the Judge Hearing was canceled due to a
favorable vote on my case.  That in 90 days the SSDI would start being
deposited.  There was also going to be a lump sum check for the back months.
Not 12 only 7 because you had to be off work for 5 months to even qualify.
OK, attorney needs to submit bill for his costs.  He paid some medical fees
for DR reports only problem he hasn't paid them.  I have paid some because
they were going to turn them in for collection.  But after if wrote him 2
times, the last was certified for a copy of his bill I didn't know anything on
that bill.  I have try and collect those med bills I paid, also, figure where
he spent his time on this case. I called SS, to get reports, keep on top of
things.
The mess is still continuing But I have a positive attitude.  The Government
didn't let me down.  The mess that came with this.  No wonder the costs for
anything that is done are so high.  They must all be paid by the hourly rate.
The best is I have to go back in May to have my case reviewed.  I'll keep you
posted and I still have a positive mindset.  I am positively sure where the
Government is involved it is screwed  up some of the time.  Not fair to
categorize all into one.  I have just never heard of anyone getting the best
of treatment and having gotten it settled on the first try with or without a
positive mindset.  Sorry I wish my experience had been so good.