Pseudo-fatigue                                       21 Sep 1998

The very last article from last year's symposium on Cell Death
And Neuroprotection In PD* which I reviewed in yesterday's
3-page message, contains a casual but most fascinating mention
of "pseudo-fatigue" as a component of the PD syndrome.
That must be exactly the same as what I have called "quick
exhaustion", as distinguished from "chronic fatigue" which is a
very frequent complaint of PWP, in my personal notes summarizing
the various symptoms of PD, as seen below:

"Chronic Fatigue:           PWP often complain of constant
tiredness or lack of energy, even in the morning after a restful
night. "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is a recognized clinical
condition, but I think it is unrelated to PD because it affects
others as well. Ordinary fatigue or exhaustion follows prolonged
strenuous exertion, such as an athletic contest or a difficult
mountain climb, as muscles are depleted of chemicals that enable
them to function, for example blood sugars and oxygen. Ordinary
fatigue abates upon prolonged rest, which permits weary muscles
to recover their normal chemical state.

Quick Exhaustion:          What some PWP call "Chronic Fatigue",
I prefer to call "Quick Exhaustion". It is not due to running
out of blood sugar or oxygen, but mimics the real thing with
labored breath and rapid pulse, even in moderate exertion such
as climbing a flight of stairs, or doing a tedious manual task.
Ignoring this kind of fatigue may trigger pain in an unrelated
area, such as the upper back. Its sudden onset and equally quick
recovery, after a brief rest or an extra dose of levodopa, shows
the connection with PD. In a treadmill test, the technician may
notice the unusually rapid "cooling off" of pulse and breathing
rates."

*Marsden C, Olanow C; Ann Neur 1998;44S1:189-196

The mention is fascinating, because although I have observed
this "quick exhaustion" in myself and heard it described by
other PWP, I've never seen it mentioned in all the scientific
literature about PD, and until now I have assumed it was simply
overlooked by the scientific and medical community. A quick
check of Medline turned up only 4 mentions of "pseudo-fatigue"
in the past year, of which none were connected to PD. It would
certainly be interesting to hear more about this. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road