Helen, first I will say this is not a Parkinson's issue, it is universal and a
sad commentary on too many actual experiences, not just mine.  Of course there
are exceptions, hopefully many of them.  I am happy you found good work, done
on time, that you can recommend.  I have certain people and companies I use
and recommend highly.  It used to be more common to get good professional work
done, most of the time, and at fair prices.  Now you have to get several
estimates and sign a multipage contract to protect yourself from shoddy work.
Why did Don's roof leak, if it was done properly?  It should have been leak
free for years.  If it could not be done properly, the roofer should have said
it was a temporary patch, or more work was needed, not let the ceiling and
carpets get ruined!
I hate to be cynical and have a negative attitude, but it has only happened
after many negative experiences with products such as a new Cadillac that was
defective, expensive electronic equipment that never worked properly, and even
a mortgage broker that lied and cheated and was out of town, on a vacation
trip when it came time for the closing on my home!  If I thought I was the
only one with these problems, I would be too embarrassed to admit it, but it
is all too common.  Ralph Nader has made a career out of these situations.