From: Emergency Information Media Affairs <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, September 25, 1998 11:20 PM
Subject: Hurricane Georges Heads Towards Gulf States

> Hurricane Georges Marches Towards Gulf States;
> FEMA Puerto Rican Recovery Effort Intensifies
>
>Washington September 25, 1998, 7:00 p.m. EDT - A strengthening Hurricane
>Georges battered the Florida Keys today - and prompted a federal emergency
>declaration for the state - and continues to threaten the Florida
>Panhandle and other Gulf Coast states. The Federal Emergency Management
>Agency (FEMA) is working closely with Florida and other potentially
>affected states, while also gearing up a significant recovery operation in
>Puerto Rico.
>
> FEMA's Region 4, which covers states along the Gulf Coast, is evaluating
>staffing options for Disaster Field Offices in several states and Rapid
>Needs Assessment Teams are prepared for deployment if necessary. Florida,
>Mississippi and Alabama have all initiated state Emergency Operation
>Centers.
>
> "FEMA is prepared to handle Hurricane Georges, even if we must operate in
>several theaters of operation," said FEMA Director James Lee Witt. "We
>have many staff who are hurricane veterans and we are ready to apply their
>experience in those states affected by the storm."
>
> On Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, where federal disaster
>declarations were made yesterday, clean-up and recovery continues. About
>614 federal personnel are deployed, activated or on alert for this
>situation. According to the American Red Cross, as many as 10,000
>dwellings were destroyed by Hurricane Georges and 15,000 suffered major
>damage. At this time, the government is operating 389 shelters housing
>22,000 people. Puerto Rico power officials expect half the island will see
>power restored by Sunday. Agricultural losses appear to be extreme, with
>at least 70 percent of the coffee crop and 80 to 90 percent of the
>plantain crop destroyed.
>
> Highlights of the federal response:
>
>Puerto Rico residents and business owners with hurricane-related damage
>can begin the disaster application process by calling 1-800-462-9029 or
>1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. Jose Bravo,
>Puerto Rico's federal coordinating officer, is asking that residents with
>minor damage wait a few days before calling to allow those with more
>serious damage to be served first.
>
>FEMA disaster medical teams and search and rescue teams are prepared for
>deployment to Florida; one urban search and rescue team has been
>pre-deployed to Miami and plans have been formulated for theaters of
>operation both in the Keys and the Florida Panhandle. Urban Search and
>Rescue teams from Virginia, Maryland and Tennessee remain on alert.
>
>There are 276 shelters open in Florida with a population of 12,613. The
>American Red Cross has deployed 84 mass care workers and administrative
>support personnel to Florida and supply warehouses in Georgia, Texas,
>Indiana and Pennsylvania have been placed on alert. The Salvation Army and
> [...]

I only worked for them for three disasters.  They are still looking for 50
Housing Inspectors for PR.  If anyone out there still has a sense of balance
(no roofs, but you have to go down basements) and is interested i could
steer you in the right direction.   They prefer older inspectors,  much like
Home Depot's clerks.  You don'' need.to know as much as a Home Depot clerk,
tho.  It is a lucrative part-time job.  i inspected 660 homes in 10 weeks at
$30 a home.  E-mail me & i'll tell you more.  They hire woman, obviously.