hi bruce;

In a message dated 1998/09/27  09:38:44, you write:

<<How does one know when you are ready for 50/200, or 10/100,
or CR,  or liquid vs the standard 25/100 version?  Thanks.  >>

in a nutshell:
lots of choices to answer lots of needs!

as pd progresses, dopamine management becomes more critical
and sensitivity to levodopa becomes more noticable

put another way,
the effective 'window' for best results from oral intake of levodopa
becomes smaller as time marches on

in my early days
[early in terms of diagnosis, but my symptoms were debilitating by then]
my med schedule was 50/200 sinemet three times a day
= 50mg carbidopa / 200mg levodopa every 240 minutes
i never noticed any variation in my response to the meds
i just knew my symptoms were under control

after a few years
i started to notice i was 'running out of steam' and stiffening up,
i.e bradykinetic, at the end of a dose period
and then getting 'twitchy'
i.e. dyskinetic, as the new dose took effect

i had started on the under-medicated/over-medicated roller coaster
and was advised to take the same amount of levodopa
but in half doses and twice as often
in order to 'smooth out' the brain's exposure to dopamine

my med schedule was changed to 10/100 [or 25/100] six times per day
= [10 or 25] / 100 every 140 minutes
and my on/off roller coaster ride flattened out nicely

[a side note: daily carbidopa level is recommended at 75-150 total,
so i used some 25/100 sinemet to adjust the carbidopa portion]

a few years later i made a similar adjustment
since i was noticing the 'on/off' fluctuation again
my med schedule was changed again
= [5 or 12] / 50 every 90 minutes

i figured out this as optimum timing
by following brian collins' symptom observation recommendations
in detail for several days

the benefits were a smoothing out of the on/off fluctuation
due to over/under medication and an overall daily reduction in sinemet intake

once in awhile
i tried sinemet cr as an alternative
but it always made me dyskinetic as well as dyspeptic

i am now looking foward to trying tasmar
as a means of smoothing out the supply of levodopa to the brain
since on/off fluctuations are bugging me again
and any food intake seems to 'kill' the sinemet

i have not tried liquid sinemet
but if tasmar were not available that would be my next technique
in dopamine management

to make a long story shorter
pd symptoms = under medication
dyskinesia = over medication

the golden mean
ono
average
ono
median
whatever
is the goal
and the goal posts are ever changing

your cyber-sibling

janet

janet paterson - 51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/