In addition to Ken's comments re: thrift shops, used scooters.....

1.  Does your insurance pay for such appliances with MD prescription?
2.  Is the scooter/appliance properly fitted to the patient?

Do you live near a major city?
I attended the Abilities 97 expo in San Mateo, CA last year and was able to
visit several "manufacturers" of scooters and also "test drive" the various
types.   Seating comfort varies from one to the other.....leg room is to be
considered.  Leg position is to be considered.......steering mechanism/braking
mechanism workable in "on/off" times.

Several styles were not at all comfortable for me.....however, a different
size, shape need would find these scooters superb...........That is why we
have thousands of sizes and styles of chairs......we all sit differently!

How will you handle transportation of the chair/scooter? is it only for use at
home? what is the turning radius?  Do you have a ramp entrance to the home?
What about garage?  Rain?  Snow?

We were overwhelmed with some of the questions asked by the manufacturing reps
at the exposition and the various aspects we had not considered with re: to
scooter.
They are marvelous.......but talk to the sales folks who know...    Talk with
the rehab center in your area......or at the University medical school in your
state,

Rita Weeks 54/9