Jeannette,

> The article stated that a new gum w/nutrient
> phosphatidylserine or PS, believed to improve cellular ativity in brain ie.
> your are more mentally alert.
> Wonder what those of you w/nutrition training or medical training know
> about this nutrient and the gum chewing delivery of a mentally alert
> causing nutrient might do for pwp?

1) With regard to nutrient delivery via chewing gum, there's no special
reason why it wouldn't work. If the nutrients are released into the
saliva, they would be swallowed and utilized. I wouldn't count on
sublingual absorption, though, unless the nutrient is one that can be
absorbed in this area.

2) Regarding phosphatidylserine, I'm only aware that it has been studied
in athletes to lower post-exercise cortisol and reduce muscle catabolism
(breakdown). I don't know of any other uses that are studied well enough
to be considered safe.

3) Use of PS by PWP -- I would be extremely cautious. PD has such
different aspects in each individual and each has different reactions to
different medications, let alone different supplements, that I would not
be willing to make a generalized statement in this regard. Personally, I
don't think long-term effects of PS have been studied well enough to
warrant its general use.

I'm all for use of supplements when they've been researched enough to
show efficacy and safety, but very very cautious with anything else.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD