Just fyi.  Some of you may know this, but one of the Osmond brothers has MS
(it may be Merrill?).  So, maybe if we approached Donny & Marie on doing a
segment that was perhaps a little broader than strict PD, that somehow also
incorporated MS, we might get their attention..  Maybe something like "Young
people with neurological diseases.", or "Environmentally-related  diseases,"
or "Alternative medicine and chronic disease," or on a more positive note,
"Illness as a curse/blessing." (blessing meaning an avenue for personal
growth).  There's probably dozens of ways you could tie the two in, and
maybe even throw ALS & AD into the mix.  They are also practising Mormons,
so perhaps  something about the spiritual side of PD would work.

I  don't know if this little factoid might also help, but it could.  Marie
Osmond sells porcelain collector dolls on the tv shopping channel, QVC.
Annette Funicello (who has MS) sells collectible teddy bears there as well.
I know that at least part of Annette's profits go into this research
facility she's set up for studying neurological diseases.  Marie and Annette
have even joined forces a couple times to sell a combo doll/bear set, with
the proceeds targeted at either this research center, or the other cause
whiich Marie is big into, which  is the  Make a Wish Foundation  or the
Sunshine Foundatiom (I'm 90% sure one of those is the right one).   Also, I
do believe that the Osmond brother with MS has, once or twice, brought his
own collection of teddy bears, which he's designed, to QVC for sale.  And
lastly, Donny has appeared on QVC a couple times to promote his newest CD
release.  Marie had announced the resumption of her & Donny's show quite a
while back on QVC.  I bring all this up cuz the more we appear to know about
what other things and issues they are involved in (especially regarding the
MS link), the better chance I think we have of standing out from the crowd.

I haven't seen their new show yet, but from what I understand hearing Marie
on QVC, it's probably more of a lighthearted and fun show.  Thus I think
that whatever suggestions we give shouldn't be too heavy or depressing.  I'm
not saying to play down ther seriousness of PD, but we should try to make
sure we address both the positive and definitely negative aspects of it.

So, maybe I'll send them a similar package of poetry, as I sent to Oprah,
only modifying my cover letter a bit.

Go get 'em!

Wendy Tebay