Rita,

I was actually thinking about this point earlier, as I had had a discussion
with someone else concerning a healing that might be described as similar to
what you're getting at.  What if a person got over PD, just kinda on their
own, and then everyone stepped into say that it wasn't really a healing from
PD, as it may have been misdiagnosed, as many are.  Well, I figure if it
ain't PD, and I have basically the same symptoms, which are progressing
and which respond to Sinemet like PD does, then it's pretty much a moot
point, as far as my life goes.  Personally I don't care what I was healed
of,  as long as I was healed.  If this unknown thing affected my life to the
same extent PD would, I don't care as long as I can get rid of it.

The researchers would obviously care, but that's part of what a study like
this would hopefully uncover.  If we gathered, say one hundred pd healing
stories, and followed up on them, we might have to wait till these people
later died of whatever, to be completely sure whether or not it was truly PD
they were cured of or something else.  If we never identify these people in
the first place, however, we'll never know.  It may be that 60 out of the
100 turned out not to have PD, while maybe the other 40 did.  Whatever it
is, if this other disease, while not strictly the same as classical PD,
nevertheless exhibits the same general symptoms, then it could still give
some clues as to how pd works.  Even now, PD & AD researchers share info on
the two diseases.  Even tho' they're different, they can still give insights
to the other, and I think this could also apply to both PD and wanna-be PD
syndromes.

Don't get me wrong, I actually appreciate it when people either disagree
with me or highlight possible weaknesses with my arguments, cuz it makes me
think them out more, and either modify them a bit to accomodate new info or
another perspective, or perhaps strengthen them where they are weak.

I certainly agree with your doctor that your case (i.e., it's slow
progression) is atypical, but that's kinda my whole point.  Luckily (I would
assume) you probably aren't then in as much need of some of the drugs and
surgeries as other PWPs are, or would be after that long a period.  What
interests me tho' are the reasons why you haven't been as affected as others
would have been.  Is it your diet (organic, vegetarian, all-American?), your
lifestyle (smoking, religious, wild & crazy, quiet & reserved?), your
environment (toxic exposures or lack thereof, country/city living, family
history?), etc.   Just as they look at all these factors in trying to
determine why people get pd, we need to know the common factors of those who
get it, but are either healed completely or barely affected.  It could be,
like you said, that maybe they never really had pd, but we'll never know the
answers to these questions until we get enough case studies, on which we can
begin doing some statistical analyses to look for trends, which would then
be pursued further.

Well, thanks for your comments, and I hope that I get some more good ones!
Take care.

Wendy