Rick and all,
Yes, I wrote a "correspondence" course for UBC's Advanced Composition
course.  I complained about it mightily while writing it, but the strangest
thing is that the students now working through the course, which was
launched with just three students in September, seem to be happy with it.
Could be that they're happy because we all email each other almost every
day (Rick is absolutely right, of course, about tutor time) but the course
seems to be going not badly.
        The electronic means of enabling the course--the combination of email,
listserv, and web site, for the moment (we have no sexy software)--were
worked out in meetings of me and Continuing Education software experts,
especially Jeff Miller, from whom you have all already heard, indirectly.
        Rick, since you're just down the block, wanna borrow a copy of the course
manual?  It's 124 pages of hard copy.

Judy

Judy Z. Segal, Ph.D.
Department of English and
Chair of Science Studies Interdisciplinary Program
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC
V6T 1Z1

Phone: 604-822-5652