I've also spent a lot of time thinking about this one over the years.

> For some time I have been wrestling with the question as to whether there is
> a Canadian tradition of teaching writing in Canada.  Are there practices and
> positions that occur here that would be less likely to occur in the United
> States?

I'm not sure entirely what "practices and positions" is trying to get at,
but I'll comment on practices anyway. The tradition as Henry Hubert lays
it out is of belles-lettres teaching of writing as an adjunct to literary
study. At UNB in the 40s they taught writing for engineers by having them
read Hemingway, among others. So it was a "practice" that went beyond the
audience of English majors, and it is unlikely to occur in the US at this
point, anyway. If I remember Connors work accurately, the belles lettres
practice here was phased out of the engineering type curriculum in the
20s.

What I think this really points to is a sharp break in the role of
universities. I once looked up the enrollment figures for all Can. univ.
from 1920-1980 or so, and the figure jumber from something like 40,000
(Can. total) in 1940 to 400,000 or more in the 1960's. I think the old
liberal arts college model of ed.--which I think involved a lot of writing
in non-English classes--just fell apart under the weight of the numbers of
people and the needs/skills/abilities of these new students (returning war
veterans, 1946-50, and their progeny, 1960-75). But in response to this
Can. univ. didn't set up first-year comp programs, and despite these
numbers didn't enroll nearly as many students (about half as many as the
US by percentage) as the US model called for. So, yeah, some really
different practices have arisen, but I would realte them to
socio-political factors and values rather than any lack of knowledge of
how to do things differently. Academics at these times knew perfectly well
what US universities were doing; they simply made sure that nothing of the
sort happened in CAn. universities.

> Is there a conservative set of practices that is uniquely our own?  Are
> there also less conservative ( should I say "enlightened" ) practices that
> are also more likely to occur here?

My own expereince is that Can. practices, like Canadian politics, can be
both more conservative and far more radical that the US equivalent. The
whole Inkshed experience is too radical to have come out of the US, but
teaching first-year writing to 200 students in a lecture hall is just as
far out in the opposite direction. And both are uniquely Canadian
practices.

Roger Graves
DePaul Univ., Chicago