 I like your idea Roger that we  have  the most radical sets of practices on
both sides of the equation.  In my own intro writing course, because of the
historical and political circumstances here, I have to lecture  for an  hour
a week to 200 students ( a practice which I compare to lecturing about
swimming) but at the same time we have active workshops (2 hours a week)
with inkshedding, discussion groups, peer editing, drafts, an interactive
web site that supports the course etc, etc.  But this is a precarious
balance and one which the administration wants to challenge ( in its quest
for greater numbers).   One of the easiest ways to challenge this balance is
by calling the "newer" elements ie, the workshop approach--foreign,
non-Canadian.

I think what I am looking for is some descriptive accounts of what people
think are good "Canadian" practices.

For example, I am willing to go out a limb and say that because of the
history of the "whole" language approach  and even the Lit.Com approach here
in Canada that we have a history of retaining the interaction of reading and
writing in our courses.

I would appreciate hearing about any other Canadian "limbs" that people are
willing to offer.

Catherine F. Schryer
Dept. of English
University of Waterloo