I was intrigued by Bob Irish's remark that half of Canadian youth start
university.  The most recent stats that I could lay my hands on show that
total full-time university enrolment as a proportion of the 18-24 age group
was 20.3% in 94-95, up from 18.0% in 90-91.  (even though the proportion was
up the number of students enrolled was down as this age group became a
smaller part of the population)  Single age distributions for the same year
for university undergraduate full-time enrollments are all under 20% (15%
for 19 year olds and just under 17% for 20 and 21 year olds).  If you
include Community College, full time post secondary enrolment for that year
is still only 33.5% of 18-24 year olds.

I'm not trying to catch you out, Bob, but I am curious about your figures
and about why people might like to believe that our post-secondary system is
more democratic than it really is.  Even if the participation rate were 50%
would that make it democratic?  A greater proportion of the post-war
generation went to university than their parents but these days university
is becoming more expensive all the time and many supports have disappeared.
University enrolments have fallen the last few years.

Sorry for the red herring!

Laura Atkinson