>But what is a writing curriculum?  Is the only way to teach writing to
>have separate courses in writing?  I have trouble with this precisely
>because most such courses are "contentless".  At the same time, as
>someone in the thick of WID, I wish for more.  I'd like to see a real
>writing course for my students, at the third year or so, in which they
>can focus on content as well as their communication.  Our first such
>experiment in this begins next term.  I'll keep you posted as to whether
>it makes a difference.

I agree whole heartedly that lack of content is a problem.  Though rhetoric
and comp evolve out of a three thousand year old tradition, and you could
teach that tradition as content it can be too meta-rhetorical for a lot of
undergrads. In my experience teaching composition, those courses with a
given content such as the more senior technical and business writing courses
are really teachable and productive.  Freshman comp on the other hand seems
plagued by the lack of content; even when the course revolves around a
theme, the students perceive it as somehow fake or staged.  I think the
perfect first year writing course would be a writing intensive lit course.
A lot of American students miss the opportunity to take a lit class because
it's not required (is replaced by comp) and that is really a shame. I've
also had success teaching a second year "baby lit crit" class with an
emphasis on criticism as a rhetorical act.  Though it's a challenge to
combine literature, criticism, and rhetoric, I think its potentially
fruitful.  (It helps to demystify the critical writing process so we don't
just continue to reward the initiated and marginalize the uninitiated.)

An ideal *Canadian*  writing course could evolve out of required lit classes
in fact.  This is, perhaps, a uniquely Canadian opportunity since the
evolution of rheotirc and comp in the US has led to a pretty serious schism
(in many institutions) between the lit and rhet camps. As I recall it was
the old Oxford ideal of *writing as thinking* that was partly responsible
for the rise of the modern day lit class as a replacement for the
traditional rhetoric course, except that the Oxford model involved
individual attention to student writing in a dialogic relationship with the
tutor. A contemporary version of this would be ideal in my mind--a writing
intensive lit course taught to a class of 24, say, with plenty of
opportunity for rhetorical instruction, peer review, and one on one
student/teacher dialogue over work in progress.